Step 1: Lie down on your right side with your legs stretched straight on the floor and resting against each other; right hand is stretched up above your head along the floor; right ear is resting on your right hand; right palm is resting on the floor; left hand is resting on your body.
Step 2: Bend your left knee; bring it close to the chest and let it rest on the floor close to your body; move right side of your chest on the floor by sliding your right armpit out; the upper part of the body turns over a little; basically, right side of your chest is on the floor; your right arm has moved a little back and your right cheek is on the floor by now.
Step 3: Bend both the elbows; left elbow is resting on the floor in front of your chest and close to your left knee; right elbow is pointing out above your head; both the palms are resting on each other near your right ear and your right cheek is resting on these stacked hands; make yourself comfortable by adjusting the posture; be in the posture for 3-5 minutes with normal breathing; change the side and follow the same sequence
- Matsya Kridasana helps reduce pain in the lumbar region. It relaxes the lower back and helps in relieving sciatic pain too.
- This asana also tones up your abdominal region and give a good massage to your chest cavity. By stretching your abdominal region, it aids in digestion and hence works against constipation. Matsya Kridasana gives a gentle pull at the waist and helps to reduce waistline fat.
- It is also helpful in case of frozen shoulder.
- This is an excellent relaxation pose and could be used for sleeping as well. Pregnant woman can relax in this posture by taking some height (with the help of pillow) on their bent left knee.
- Avoid in case of severe backache & blocked nostrils. Also be careful in case of vertigo and high BP.
- Persons with knee injury should take some cushioning or avoid this asana
- Hypertension and heart patients should practice it slowly – not more than 2-3 times.
Persons with cervical spondylitis need to be careful with head movement.