Jivha Mudra is performed by simply placing & pushing the tongue to the upper palate with slight force.
Step 1: Sit comfortably in Sukhasana or any position you are comfortable in.
Step 2: Place your palms on the knees, lean forward a little.
Step 3: Place your tongue on the upper palate.
Step 4: The mouth is wide open and you feel a good stretch on the upper jaw & the throat region (stretch your lower jaw slightly down and back to feel optimal stretch.
Step 5: Focus your gaze at the tip of the nose – Agochari Mudra(nose tip gazing). Also called Nasikagra Drishti (gazing at the nose tip)- one of the oldest recorded yogic practices.
Step 6: Hold the mudra for 10-20 seconds with normal breathing (continue to breathe from nostril and gradually increase the holding time) and release.
Step 7: Relax and close your eyes for few seconds
Step 8: Get ready for Simha Mudra
- Keep pressing the tongue as much as possible from the root and press it firmly against the upper palate to stretch the upper jaw. Do not throw your cheek bones wide apart in the process of stretching. This will create wrinkles below your nose which may become permanent with regular practice.
- Also, your eyes might not be used to staring at the tip of your nose and hence may result in a slight headache practice. Closing your eyes will dissipate it immediately
- Jaw line – develops a beautiful jaw line
- Neck – strengthens your neck, makes it long and shapely
- Double Chin – Works on the central as well as lateral region of your neck specifically and helps shed the extra flabbiness from that area, thereby, toning out the double chin
- Helps in normalizing high blood pressure
- Helps in cases of snoring, sleep apnea
- Helps in case of respiratory problems
- Natural facial Massage– These movements increase the blood flow to your facial muscles thereby brings a natural glow to your face.
Caution: Please do not perform in case of toothache, pain in the jaws and throat or swelling inside the mouth
All these exercises increase blood circulation allowing more oxygen and nourishment to reach the cells of your facial skin .Regular practice of these will make you look healthier, more energized and younger within a span of 2-3 months.
- Avoid in case of severe vertigo